It’s been years since I haven’t finished a book. I felt a little guilty not making it through this book, but alas, my time was better spent elsewhere with this one…
The author maintains that, “All it takes to make creativity a part of your life is the willingness to make it a habit. It is the product of preparation and effort, and is within reach of everyone.” This book provides the reader with 32 practical exercises on the lessons Twyla Tharp has learned during her long career.
Eric Burmeister, Executive Director, PCHTF, along with leaders of various Des Moines-based housing agencies, gave us an overview of their projects as we drove through Martin Luther King Jr. Park, Capitol Park, Capitol East, River Bend, Royal View Manor and Oakridge Neighborhoods. These neighborhoods are located in the poorest areas and make up the Urban Core of the City of Des Moines.
My Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute (GDMLI) small group had the opportunity to serve with Joppa a few months ago.
What Joppa does:
- Express Christ’s unconditional love
- Build relationships & visit often
- Help people stay warm, dry and healthy
- Provide food, supplies & care
- Respond to needs & emergencies
- Be a voice, advocate & link to resources
- Encourage positive steps forward
- Provide aftercare once off the streets