I had the distinct pleasure of being a panelist at the 2016 Iowa Prevention Conference. Iowa’s Annual Prevention Conference is a statewide forum focused on substance abuse prevention and problem gambling prevention, while offering recommendations for best practices. The goal of this conference is to establish a meaningful dialogue among substance abuse prevention and problem gambling by focusing on strategies and tools that can facilitate the development of a strategic response to the various challenges in the field. This event is a collaborative effort between the Iowa Department of Public Health, contracted agencies and grantees, and other service providers and stakeholders who are committed to the educational advancement of professionals.
How to Improve Media Coverage – and WHY! presented by Sonya Heitshusen with WHO TV, Tony Leys with the Des Moines Register, and Suzanne Hull with Contemporary Business Solutions
Does your program struggle with getting your message out to the community? Do you post on your social media, send out press releases, and hold media events, but no one seems to show up or hear your messages? This session will provide an overview of how to properly use social media and the press to start the conversation and reach your community with your messages and events. The session will include a facilitated panel discussion with members of the media, a social media expert, and a public health professional.
1. Identify which social networks best reach your intended target audience both for your brand and for your individual campaigns
2. Learn how to increase followers and engagement
3. Learn how to create overall brand awareness
4. Understand the media’s role in disseminating information
5. Learn how to build beneficial relations with the media
6. Equip participants with interview survival tips